Sunday 24 April 2011

A lovely April walk in Derbyshire


I thought I'd start to post about the many walks I do. I recently once again donned my walking boots and made off to the wonderful Derbyshire Peak District. This time we decided to try a walk we hadn't done before, which began at Black Rocks and then up to Middleton Top before heading back along the High Peak Trail to our starting point.

We started out at Black Rocks. This natural gritstone outcrop hangs high above th
e village of Cromford in Derbyshire. We saw mountain pansies and sandwort during the first part of our walk as we headed towards the village of Middleton.

Blackthorn hedges in full bloom added a spring feel to a very hot day, it felt more like June. We passed some beautiful horses grazing and it was so nice to get back out into the countryside once again.

Other wildflowers we also came across cowslips and honesty. Several butterflies, including Orange-tip were seen too.

Birdsong was abundant except when we came to the old disused New Hopton Wood Quarry. It was deathly quiet when we entered the area, almost as if someone had switched the sound off, but as we ventured back to our path, the sounds filled the air once again.


A beautiful walk with gorgeous views.

The High Peak Trail


One point of interest along the way was Middleton Top Engine House.


Oh, and a funny Highland Cow who pulled a face at us!


I take many photographs for my artwork and photography when I'm out and about.

Hope you enjoyed seeing parts of my walk in Derbyshire.
Gaynor ~ xx



No comments:

Post a Comment